Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Teaching in Magnolia, Texas

P-days are now on Mondays by the way. My first area is Magnolia, Texas in the Magnolia Second Ward, and it has been kind of slow as of yet. We have had investigators to teach, and stuff to do, but no baptisms. We are in a driving mission area, so we have a car, and our apartment is a bit ghetto, but it’s fine :) I like it, and it’s just me and my companion Elder Challet.

Apparently they call trainers fathers and the trainees sons, and they base a ton of things off of those, so I have uncles, I have grandparents, etc. etc. I find it kind of hilarious, and theoretically if I ever get my Visas I will have 2 fathers in the mission :P I'm working hard though, finding every opportunity that I can to serve.

So to start, my first few days were kind of crazy, learning how things work out here, meeting new people all the time. We arrived, and my mission president met us as we were getting our baggage. He is supper happy all the time, it’s so awesome, never gets mad, that kind of guy. Anyway, he had interviews with us all, he didn't know who my trainer was going to be and he called up Elder Challet that morning and told him that we would be together. I know that this was an inspired decision, he is very close to the lord, I know because when I met Elder Challet (before I knew he was my trainer) we both knew we were going to be companions, we kind of just felt it. This has been witnessed to me over and over again with miracle upon miracle.

One miracle occurred just 3 days ago was we were going to take a u turn ( he doesn't like making me get out of the car and back him up) and we got stuck in a ditch. We tried pushing it out, and couldn't get it out, so he said a quick prayer, and almost right after, we had a tow truck pull up and offer to pull us out for free. whoa. Jake (the driver) gets a golden star for the day.

Also, we went to go visit less actives (that’s most of our mission here, reactivating less actives) and she has been having trouble with her husband, who has been in jail for 30 years of his life already, and he just got sent again. Both are members, and she is supper sweet. When we got to the house, we answered her prayer because the one person that could drive us was the one that was the one she was asking for. I know the lord blesses us when we humble ourselves enough to ask for help.

Magnolia is funny, I have noticed that there is a lot of trailer parks, and a lot of rich people as well, not a ton of in between. It's a pretty big area, and we never have enough miles to get around it all. Also last week was just a bad week for miles. It should be better this week.

One of the people I have come to know and love is this kid named Quinn. He is a very humble kid, and is a convert to the church. I have noticed the light around this kid. He is a beacon to all, and a very influential missionary, and I think that I will be writing about him as well.

So, funny story, one of the people I met on the flights here was a missionary in Londrina. She described it to us a bit, and I am way excited. Though on top of that, we met this family who has recently been reactivated, and is now stronger in the church then they have been. The father served his mission in the same area where I will be, (it was called something different). I have been able to get him pretty fired up about it, I love him so much! He also has so much to tell me about it, maybe even a few referrals :)

Anyway, next week I will send a few pictures of my mission here, some of the people I have met, and will tell you about the people I will teach this week. I get to meet most of our investigators this week. :)

 President and Sister Pingre with Sean


Sean's Houston District

No comments:

Post a Comment