Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Got my Visa!

So this week has been a crazy one, (have I said that before?). I have gone from driving everywhere, to getting a bike (borrowing it from Elder Brown), to finding out that I received my visa to Brazil and am leaving Houston March 11. (The picture of the car is from the first week when Elder Chollet got us stuck doing a U-turn).


From the beginning: first off, on Tuesday every week we do service at a food pantry called Society of Samaritans, (SOS). We move food around and do all the heavy lifting cause we are young and haven't killed our backs yet. It’s kind of nice because we get to pick food while we are there and stock up for the week. Considering we get food from members every day, plus that, we are set. I don't think that my next area will be this nice :P

We also have a guy named Zach that we go with to a bible study every week. It was very different from what I am used to. First off while we were there, we had the pleasure of having Elder Brown and Elder Yu along with us to help us out, but we were all teaching someone after we were done, and correcting misconceptions about the LDS religion. They were all super excited about it.

On Thursday I got my visa, which really strengthened my testimony because I prayed to receive it, then 2 days later (when I imagined getting it), I received it. It kind of went like this: Elder Chollet telling me as he is listening to voicemails that I got it, and me not believing him. Turns out he wasn't lying and he claims I smiled for 2 hours. I think it was longer, because I am still smiling.

My District.

Elder Chollet, my fearless companion who I love dearly, having such a different back story than I do has been on his mission for a year, and is very knowledgeable in the bible and in different doctrine. So needless to say I learn something from him every day (whether I want to or not). He has been to Dixie for a number of years, and has been studying communications and dancing all the time. We work hard, and try to find ways to bring people to reactivity. Oh, and he is quite the lady killer.



Elder Brown, the district leader. So while I can honestly say his cries of “aiiyaa Jackie!” ( from Jackie Chan Adventures) drive me up the wall sometimes, I have a deep respect for him, and I am glad to have met him on my mission. He is a Cache Valley resident, and will be attending Utah State in a year (he came out with Elder Chollet). He is a bit of a nerd, plays Pokémon with Elder Yu all the time, does magic tricks, and I could see this guy in shorts wearing long tube socks and flip flops to the beach. While it might not be that bad, he is a great guy, and will be missed. 



Finally we have Elder Yu, the Asian. (Yes we do find songs that say “you” in them all the time and sing to him). He is so awesome, and I love this kid, just ‘cause he is so laid back and so funny. He is from Hong Kong, and he has been on his mission for 2 years now, and leaves back to China in less than a week, so essentially he is very very trunkie (a term used to describe someone who know he is leaving so he is living out of a suitcase)... (I'm getting there). His English first name is Rex, which is awesome, and he will be attending either BYU Hawaii, or BYU Idaho, we're not sure which at this point in time, but he wants to go to Idaho so he doesn't have to worry about the Visa as much. Elder Yu is always goofing off, but when it comes down to it, he is a strong example to me, and has a good testimony of the church (though he hates going to church because it is so long :P ) I hope our paths cross again. 







I have been loving it out here in Magnolia, the people are so nice, even though it can be a bit dramatic now and then. Lol. I am going to miss them as I leave, even though I am ready and really quite happy to go to Brazil, I am sad about leaving. I guess that’s what happens as a missionary, you go to a place, love the people, then you leave.

My itinerary is as such: fly from Houston to Atlanta from 12:30 to 4:00 pm? (it’s 2.5 hours I believe, plus the time diff.) Then I hop back on at 7:30 pm till 6:30 am (again a time diff) for a 9.5 hour flight to Sao Paulo. Then another flight from 8:30 am ‘till 12 pm to Londrina. The times aren't exact, but they are within an hour or 2 of the actual flight times. I counted it out, I'm at the airport for 22 hours, plus 2 hours I would guess.

That’s my life in a nutshell from the last week, I miss you all! Please write me, I love getting letters!

Elder Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment