Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Learning the language and feeling the Spirit

So, another week has gone, and it feels like I just did this yesterday. We have learned so much in the last week, especially since we have a new teacher, fresh off the mission. His name is Brother Butars? ( not sure on the spelling) but he has this thing about him where he carries the spirit so strongly, and is able to convince you to do anything. For example this week we are taking an English fast. I have been speaking Portuguese since Sunday morning, with a few exceptions where I had to talk in English, and most of this morning because it’s P-day, but I think that I will do it till I am out in the field. I really want to improve so much in my Portuguese!

In reference to that, 2 weeks ago, maybe 3 I set a goal to finish memorizing the 500 words in a book that I bought, “501 Verbs fully conjugated.” I didn't memorize the conjugations, but I did memorize all 500 in the last 2 or 3 weeks, and I am so amazed at how much I have grown in the language because of it.

I would like to share one day in particular. When I started I was memorizing maybe 10 or 13 a day, since that time, I have been able to learn up to 70 words in a day, plus other concepts in Portuguese that made my life a lot easier. I know that I would not have been able to do that myself, and through the lord I have been able to grow faster and stronger. I can see the lord blessing my life with the gift of tongues, to the point where the language isn't stopping me from saying what I want to say, but it’s my own knowledge holding me back (which is where my personal study comes in to play). I know through the lord I can do all things.

One last experience: me and my companions teach 30 minute lessons every day (have since day 1) and we have trouble sometimes conveying our invitation through the spirit. As we've grown closer, we have grown stronger in the spirit, and I felt that in a little 2 minute practice. I have never felt the spirit rush in that fast, and I now have a testimony that the spirit is able to flow through you and bear witness. I have felt it, and I know that it can come and leave with the drop of a pin, that fast. I am going to strive to keep that, and I know that I can. Through the scriptures, prayer, and my Savior, I can qualify for the spirit at all times.

I love you all, I know the church is true, and God be with you till we meet again!!!

Tchau!

Elder Anderson

Nice picture of the Provo Temple 


Sister Elliott and Elder Anderson (one of the girls Sean used to swing dance with - she just left the MTC).  He always likes to see a familiar face. 

Another friend Sean said goodbye to was Elder Andy Hansen, a good friend of his from his Texas days.  Notice, he never hugs the sisters goodbye:)

No comments:

Post a Comment